Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Asian Radish Poutine - Radish Haters Unite


I don't think I would call myself a Radish Hater but I am definitely not in love with them.  The mister embraces the raw, crunchy, spicy, bitter taste.  I can take a bit of them in salads but for me they aren't a snack or a meal.

And so begins my struggle with my CSA basket as it is guaranteed to be loaded up with these bright red beauties a few times this summer. The mister is working away from home and I had a dozen near perfect radishes staring me down this weekend.  They were my last offerings remaining in the first CSA basket of the season and I was determined to give them my full respect.

In our second newsletter from Roots and Shoots Farm, they were kind to give assistance to the Radish Haters in their midst.

The recipe that they shared called Sautéed Radishes from allrecipes.ca had their own embellishments.  Roots and Shoots Farm suggested "you can add the leaves in about three minutes from the end, and serve them up with soy and sweet chili sauce. So yummy!"  

I ended up including the soy and sweet chili sauce to the pan to help wilt the radish greens. As it turns out, the heat caused a nice gravy to form.

As a final touch at plating I topped my radishes with a wedge of Cambozola cheese and voilà, Asian Radish Poutine was born.

I liked it well enough, but next time I would include sautéed spring onions to sweeten it.  This would make a great side for a beef dinner but it's probably too strong for something as delicate as fish.

Are you a Radish Hater? Maybe this is your rescue dish.


ASIAN RADISH POUTINE
Inspired by Roots and Shoots Farm and allrecipes.ca
Serves 2 as a side dish

Ingredients:
1 bunch of radishes
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
salt and pepper
3 to 4 tablespoons soy sauce
3 to 4 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
cheese

Method:
Remove the radish leaves and set aside any leaves that are still in very good shape. Wash the radishes and the leaves well.  Trim the radishes at each end and halve or quarter them, depending on their size.

Heat the unsalted butter in a skillet over medium heat. Place the radishes face down and turn the heat to low so they can cook through as they brown.  Stir them occasionally to make sure they are not sticking or getting too brown too fast.  Season them with salt and pepper.  It may take as much as 10 minutes for them to soften.  A few minutes before they finish, add in the radish greens.

Pour soy and sweet chili sauce over the dish and heat through.  Adjust to your taste.

Plate and top with a wedge of cheese.  This time I used Cambozola, thinking I would challenge strong with strong.  Use a cheese that suits your tastes.




2 comments:

  1. Looks really lovely. Jamie Oliver does some very good things with radishes too if you look at his 15 minute meals series. But radish poutine gives me something to think about. The brie is a nice touch - brie makes so many things better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine: Thank you for pointing me to Jamie Oliver. I have had a wonderful morning immersed in his website. So much good food.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...